Business Resources provides information, support and connection to services for both existing businesses and to anyone thinking of starting a business in Hawaiʻi County.
DCCA Hilo Business Action Center Days
Download the schedule for DCCA Business Action Center Days in Hilo. See details below under Programs. AS A RESULT OF COVID-19, BUSINESS ACTION CENTER DAYS IN HILO ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Free Entrepreneur Meetup Networking Group: A free Entrepreneur Meetup Networking Group meets on the second Wednesday of each month from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. at Pictures Plus 75-1006 Henry Street in Kailua-Kona and the second Thursday of each month from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. in the County Office of Aging Training Room at 1055 Kinoole Street, in Hilo. Sponsored by HIPlan and the East Hawaiʻi Small Business Development Center. For more information contact Jason@hiplan.biz.
The Small Business Development Centers in Hilo and in Kailua-Kona at NELHA offer regular workshops and business events. Check their Business Events Calendars for their event schedule.
2020 HiSTEP Program: Participate in HiSTEP and grow your international export business. Learn about the 2020 Hawai‘i State Expansion Program, also known as HiSTEP. The program is designed to assist small businesses in Hawai‘i with growing their export business in markets around the world.
The Kohala Center’s Rural and Cooperative Business Development Services program works to expand and strengthen Hawaiʻi’s rural economies and food systems by providing cooperative and business development services to farmers, value-added producers, and small businesses. Services include: Cooperative Business Education, Group Facilitation and Organization,Strategic Project Planning,Feasibility Assessment, Business Planning, Market Analysis, Loan/Grant Application Assistance and Capitalization Strategies, Legal Document Assistance, Professional Referrals, Board and Member Trainings, Conflict Resolution.For assistance, complete and submit a Request for Assistance form.
How to Start a Business in Hawaiʻi County - a resource guide to successful business development
2019 U.S. Small Business Administration Resource Guide for Small Business - Hawaiʻi Edition
The Hawaiʻi Technology Development Corporation provides free legal assistance from the Business Law Corp (BLC) by appointment on the first and third Wednesdays of each month. Please schedule an appointment at the HTDC website. Additional appointments on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month are made available at the Patsy Mink Center; visit the MCBL website to make an appointment.
Business Action Center Days
NOTICE: DUE TO COVID-19, BUSINESS ACTION CENTER DAYS IN HILO ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
PLEASE CALL THE DCCA BUSINESS ACTION CENTER IN HONOLULU FOR ASSISTANCE WITH BUSINESS AND TRADE NAME REGISTRATIONS. DIAL EXTENSION 6-2545 FOLLOWED BY # AFTER CALLING THIS TOLL-FREE NUMBER: 974-4000.
The Department of R&D hosts a representative of the State of Hawaiʻi Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) Business Action Center at our Hilo office on scheduled days from 9:30 a.m. until 2:15 p.m. Please note we are unable to process credit card payments, so be sure to bring a check or exact cash for any filing fees. See the DCCA's Fee Schedule as of January 2020. Please remember to add the $1 State Archives Preservation Fee for each registration. The following services are provided:
- Register a business entity, trade name, or trade mark
- File a DCCA annual report (to stay in good standing)
- Make changes to your business’ information on record with the DCCA
- Apply for a General Excise Tax License: Hawaiʻi’s basic business license
- Update your GET license account information
- Obtain information on how and where to file your GET returns
- Department of Labor and Industrial Relations
- Get information on how to register as an employer with the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations
- Learn how to obtain a Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN) with the Internal Revenue Service
- Ask about other state and county agencies that issue licenses and permits
- Find information on other government requirements pertaining to your business/industry and other resources available to small businesses
Hilo BAC Action Day Schedule - the first and third Thursdays of each month - (download the Flyer and Schedule)
- Thursday, February 6, 2020
- Thursday, February 20, 2020
- Thursday, March 5, 2020
- Thursday, March 19, 2020 CANCELLED
- Thursday, April 2, 2020
- Thursday, April 16, 2020
- Thursday, May 7, 2020
- Thursday, May 21, 2020
- Thursday, June 4, 2020
- Thursday, June 18, 2020
Hawaiʻi Business Express is the quick and easy way to start a business in the State of Hawaiʻi. Use the step-by-step online wizard to file with multiple agencies or file a specific form directly with the State of Hawaiʻi Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
Hawaiʻi Tax Online is a convenient amd secure way to obtain a State ID Tax Number, submit a BB-1, file tax returns, make payments, view letters, manage your accounts, and conduct other common transactions online with the Hawaiʻi Department of Taxation.
Hawaiʻi State Trade Expansion Program (HISTEP) is a comprehensive program designed to assist Hawaiʻi small businesses with their export development. Visit HiSTEP website for training announcements, program benefits, and eligibility information.
Enterprise Zone: The Enterprise Zone program is a state-county partnership that has been growing job opportunities on Hawaiʻi Island for over 20 years by incentivizing business investment in areas with low income or high unemployment.
- Small Business Administration
- Business USA
- Internal Revenue Service Tax Information for Business
- IRS Tax Calendar for Business and the Self-Employed
- Assess Costs Everywhere provides manufacturers with the top reasons for investing and sourcing in the United States. With its analytic framework, links to public and private resources, and case studies, ACE is now available to help businesses assess total costs more accurately and enable informed decision-making.
- USDA Rural Development Programs
- Federal Business Opportunities - Search for active federal opportunities.
- Hawaii Procurement Technical Assistance Center (HI-PTAC)