The County of Hawaiʻi awards businesses with the Gold Star when they’ve passed all necessary safety requirements by the State of Hawaiʻi and implemented additional requirements by the county, the Department of Health, and the Hawaiʻi Fire Department. These requirements allow businesses to reopen to the public and provide the safest possible conditions during this current phase of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Posting signage and have customers and employees wear face coverings
- Installing hand sanitizing stations at all entrances and require customers to use them
- Have a policy and timeframe for sanitizing all high touch surfaces
- Reasonable limits on purchases of essential supplies
- Enforce social distancing by requiring and marking six feet of spacing between customers inside and outside of the business
- Shields or six feet of separation between checkout clerks and customers
- Post and maintain clear signage communicating special hours for high-risk populations
- Encourage customers to do business remotely either online or by phone to the extent possible
- If possible, provide online purchasing and customer pickup outside the facility or delivery to customer locations
- Post signage at entrances informing all employees and customers of required safety guidelines while in the business
For more information, or to have your business evaluated for the Gold Star program, contact the county COVID Task Force on Education and Prevention at 935-0031.